Monday, July 19, 2010

Grading with Games



http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-james-gee-video

I found this web video of James Paul Gee to be fascinating. He discusses how video games can be used effectively in education and why. I had never thought about using video games as a learning tool, other than the "Mathblaster" type games we used in primary and secondary school. I can now see use for it in other fields of education.

A goal for myself is to use some sort of gaming technology to aid in remedial English education. I would like to develop a game to help learn basic grammar rules. Stay tuned to my blog for details as I follow this path!

2 comments:

  1. Jeni:
    It sounds like your goal to create a game is going to be fun and challenging. You may also want to consider having your students create a game. One simple type that comes to mind is using Power Point templates, such as Jeopardy that are available on the web.
    Best of luck in this endeavor!
    ~Mag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Mag's idea of having the students create a game. It would be nice for them to get to take some ownership for the activity.

    ReplyDelete